Saturday, May 8, 2010

Singing

Finally, exam is over heralding the end of a tiresome semester. This semester, I have worked with the most inspiring as well as the most difficult individuals.But this post is not dedicated to ranting about what happens in school, rather it is to reflect on how far my passion in singing has gone.

My revelation to the wonders of singing has come rather late when I got a chance to perform in the hall choir. Back then, the diction, tone and richness of the notes that were sung were downright disgraceful. Over the years, I have learnt much and have encouraged by friends to sing.

More than just fooling people into believing that there is a girl singing in the guy's toilet in Block Six, I find singing a new area where i can invest my hope, passion and emotion. Of course, there were episodes of coughing and sore throat hindering the vocal production but everyday, I learn something new about singing.

First, i learn that different music is catered to different voices. There are songs that others can sing but I can't and vice versa. It has to do with quality of the notes produced and the "feel" of the song, whether it should be dark and eerie, light and ethereal or hip and poppish.

Secondly, i learn that it is not enough to just generate the right pitch for the notes. Even if the whole song is sung with such pitch perfectness but without emotion, then the song would meaningless. Singing a song is like telling a story and every story is unique unto itself. It is up to the singer to blend his or her techniques with the song to deliver the song to its greatest effect.

As a a fledgling countertenor, i find that my voice has changed very much since I first sang in falsetto register. The notes are now deeper, richer and less strenuously produced than before. Of course, I am not a master in singing but I am glad to learn something every step of the way.

Somehow, singing has allowed me to communicate with my inner self. It has made me realise that there is a purpose to music, which touches at the very core of the human soul. Why else do people weep when they hear the tenor aria delivered by Luciano Pavarotti? Why else is the Phantom of the Opera such an immemorial musical to which many individuals have gravitated?It is no small wonder that the human voice, in such daring stroke of agility and power or in the subtlety of mere humming, would evoke emotions deep seated within our hearts.

To me, music is a journey of self discovery. I find peace in the harmony of music and challenge in the agility of scaling notes and leaping from one octave to another. In my opinion, there are few things more soothing yet more exciting than music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.