Sunday, July 6, 2008

I Have Stepped Into A New World, And Out Of It.

With the string of lamentations over leaving McNair v 2.0 buzzing among some of our blogs, I can’t help but hop into the bandwagon. True, my stay cannot rival that of billy’s or most of the permanent residents and there will be no pictures to embellish the paragraphs of words that follows – both of which may suggest that this post is shallow and boring. So, don’t read it…don’t read it.

Ah, why am I doing myself such “favour” – engaging in a voluntary, self initiated instance of self-denial? Anyway, there are much that have been garnered over the relatively brief stay that I have in McNair v 2.0. Firstly, that nothing in this world is for sure makes life all the more exciting.

Having read the previous line, a layman would be clueless about what I have said. It is this: there is always an interesting, unpredictable twist in life that can take you on an experience of paradigm-shifting proportion. Take this example: I took a brief five minutes on deciding to forsake my unremarkable life of decomposing at home as a post-A-Level activity and to find a job in Singapore. It is a decision that has swept me off my feet, carrying me to a house for which I have to pay rent, a place where I have to look for a job, and new groups of people whom I have to work with. These first-time experiences are definitely what I have not envisioned at the point of making that decision.

A situation of volatility has evolved out of a decision to get away from a relatively dormant life since I not only have to support my own living expense, but also to form a good rapport with a workmates instead of schoolmates. No longer am I cradled safely in school life for I have chosen to indulge in a radically new sphere of environment: the career world. You see the big leap?

Obviously the “big leap” was more gravely anticipated that it really was. I had a (bad) hunch that it is gonna be tough and I have to work my ass off in a torturous environment of constant bullying and reprimanding just to make both ends meet. However, it turned out to be more symphatetic. Workmates at the Japanese restaurant, where I worked as a part-time waiter, were nice, genuine and cooperative enough to pull me out of a quagmire whenever I get into one.

School was always compassionate to me, whether I wear a student uniform or a teacher’s attire, since my colleagues were always out there to clarify my doubts over difficult Chemistry questions, encouraged my feeble heart to take charge of several boisterous classes and gave me a smile as and when needed. Money was good to earn and accumulate (since I did not spend much until the onset of GSS and the shopping fever.) In sum, working and living independently were much more satisfying than grueling.

Also, I have learnt that money is not everything but it is most of the things. I, however, am not alluding to any sort of avarice on my part or that of the permanent residents. It is more along the line of money being the test of integrity. Berate me for being so unforgiving but I find it difficult to pardon the act of leaving friends in financial difficulty at the spur of the moment. In a country whereby honest money is generously given as long as the will to work exists, it strikes me odd for one to quote money shortage as an excuse to forsake an oath of staying together, for the purpose of keeping the house rent affordable, that is sealed by the word of friendship.

The matter had been settled but I suppose it came about two months late, two months of living everyday with the frustration of friendship betrayal. At this juncture, I apologize for the cryptic manner of writing but nothing else is clearer when this is combined with the pre-existing knowledge in the minds of the permanent residents. Then again, there is another unsettled score over a certain deposit which can only be retrieved in the presence of some individual of Indonesian nationality.

Last but not least, I’ve finally felt how it is like to live in a different sort of family, one which is composed of individuals which are non-related by blood. Undeniably, there are always profuse complaints about one another and occasional emotional flares between members of the house. These, however, are not signs of a deteriorating social relationships but portrays a deeper mutual understanding amongst the permanent residents of the house.

We have learnt to tolerate and put our trust on each other in the belief that there will not be betrayal of any sort, except that which has been aforementioned. We have learnt to tap on each other strengths and compensate for the individual weaknesses. A long day of hard work is not a reason to go home and throw ridiculously childish tantrums in front the other housemates. When one has an intractable problem, the others will offer their helping hands. We have developed a deep respect of each other’s privacy, taking care not to use each other’s things unless permission is granted. With all these combined, there is no other word more apt to describe us but a family, a family formed out of volition rather than DNAs.

I guess the verbosity of my writings can but capture a miniscule part of the collective experiences of staying at McNair v 2.0. The place may have switched tenant-ship but the memories of that particular niche indefinite. To Billy, Chia Wei, Lizzie, Mui Hwee, Mun Hon, Shean and Xin Lin, you have turned the two-and-a-half month stay at McNair v 2.0 a life adventure unparalleled by any which I have experienced before. Love you!

No comments: