Thursday, June 26, 2008

Home

Among the 06-07 Malaysian ex-McNairian, I supposed I am the least wieldy with putting up pictures on the blog. So here is a change:



Haha, the picture is somewhat blurred (damn you, Google Earth!) but yup, that is the map of my neighbourhood. Do note that the map itself is oriented to the east at its top such that north points to the left while south and east are to the right and the bottom respectively.

My house is denoted by the marker "Home" (it seems that the marker is bigger than the house, so funny!), sporting a square red roof. It is not exactly very big but it is home nonetheless, a cozy place filled with salty, tangy air from the sea.

The thought of home conjures memories of old. It was the only home I knew of since birth until the age of 17, a place that taught me more things than school did. It was a nursery of my childhood, where my imagination exploded very much like the Big Bang that gave rise to our universe. I remember as a child, I used to imagine my house as some sort of fortress beseiged by ogres, vampires, titans, werewolves and other hideous members of the mythical bestiary. I was then the guardian of the fortress, wielding a "magic staff" fashioned out of a broken broom, casting wondrous spells that only my eyes could perceive, and warding off these demonic powers from overtaking my home.

There was once a handsome pine tree that used to grow close to the balcony outside my room. I could recall having secretly fed a civet which used to climb up the tree onto the balcony, and admiring the agility, not the mention the grace, that was portrayed through its motion. Then, there is the main balcony from which I get a clear view of the azure blue sea, dotted by white plumes of waves. Here, at McNair v 2.0, all i can see through the window are ugly stands of cranes and messy construction sites that emit the most horrible noise all day long.

Behind my house, there is a rectangular-shaped fish pond which i used to jump into during the monsoon season because the water was then crystal clear, cleansed by the heavenly water dropping from the sky. The fish would all swirl around me, nipping at my skin and giving me a ticklish feeling. Now, the pond is leaky so the fish and water plants are all transferred into a big black water tank. The reminiscent of the pond's past beauty still lives though,my mother told me, since the water lilies continue blooming every week or so, emitting a clean, light fragrance that is a aromatic delight to any passerby.


Oh dear, I have drifted too long in the memories of the past. Anyway, we will be dropping at the "Drop-off Point", then making a journey of 100m or so to my house. Haha, can't wait for Redang!

No comments: