Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Singaporeanisation

I love the rain. It cleanses the air so that every breath you take is so refreshing and rejuvenating to the mind. It is during the rainy days that imagination flows out like an endless torrent of water. So today, i have given a little about "Singaporeanisation".

I have come to ask myself this: how far have I changed to resemble a typical Singaporean? True, I have developed an accent that is indistinguishable from the locals with the constant usage of "ma" and "la" as and when needed. My lust for material goods have grown over the two years and so have my addiction to shopping. Being sarcastic and critical in everyday speech and activities is no longer an alien thing to me. In view of the changes to my personality and behaviour, have I become "Singaporeanised"?

Again, the changes are superficial - they merely represent the external adaptations to the materialistic, narcissistic and complex nature of the city environment. Deep down inside, the yearning for home still calls me back to a small, quiet town in Malaysia and a cozy, white-washed building i call home. It echoes my past, reminding me of rural simplicity and of the nice, genuine villagers who live by the principle of honesty and sincerity. It calls out me, telling me that once a person is a Malaysian, he is always a Malaysian. Forget all the racial discrimination, high crime rate, and relative economic bawkwardness compared to Singapore, and remind ourselves of our birthplace, of a place which nurtures us.

In retrospect, it is the unfairness that we, as non-Malays, have suffered in Malaysia that makes us stronger (no pain, no gain). It strengthens our resolve to look for better opportunities in life and makes us unshaken by the same failures that would crumble the Singaporean hearts. The difficulty with which we shake loose of the oppresssive Malaysian education system and bravely step into the academic world of Singapore is something worthy of a round ovation. Nonetheless, our turbulent pasts remind us of the value of humility and perseverence that are lacking among Singaporeans, who feel so arrogant about themselves despite the ostensible reality that their tiny island hangs precariously upon the thin thread of economic stability. Should trade and commerce in both Singapore and Malaysia ever cease, it is obvious that the latter country would be a survivor since Malaysia can still feed its people while Singaporeans would starve in the absence of imported food sources.

Paradoxically, it is the racial disadvantages which we suffer that makes us a stronger breed compared to Singaporeans. We are groomed by great adversity to face even greater adversity while Singaporeans only know to complain profusely at a sight of a tiny obstacle. The diamonds in rough, we shine more radiantly that the synthetic glass that mirrors the Singaporean nationality. That's why I never shy away from saying,"I'm a Malaysian," when asked about my origin.

No comments: