Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Anxiety Issue



Guys, I am in great jeopardy here. Friday will be my first day at school and i have to transform from this (my head is in the red elipse):





...to this:




Actually, exclude the tie, coat and spectacles(since my eyesight is still fair and is insufficiently crippled by long hours of staring at the computer screen to merit such "accessory") to get be an idea of my dressing on Friday. The all-too-common anxiety prior to a new experience is taking its toll on me as I constantly worry over the many possibilities, most of which are negative, that would follow relief teaching in SA. Heck, I look like a kid and to dress up so formally will undoubtedly make a funny-looking person out of me.


Moreover, there is this uncertainty gnawing at the base of my heart whether I can handle such big group of students in a class (not excluding the posssibilities of several encounters with spoilt, lazy, unattentive and rude students). True, there will be someone to guide me on the first day, but I will eventually have to teach alone, projecting my voice to the back of the class, putting on a mask of mature wisdom and being wary of making mistakes that reveals the child-like side of me.

Anyway, there is not much to do in allaying my anxiety but to confidently step into school on Friday 7.15am sharp and report to Madam Lee, the Senior Head of the Chemistry Department.
Meanwhile, I will parade with all the formal clothes on to get use to the attires' feel. So narcissistic, ain't I?

2 comments:

sam therese chong said...

good luck teacher ryan! =)

Aurelius said...

aiyo, I feel so old when they call me Mr Hee.